Monday, January 26, 2009

the Royals

We had to go, it was time.

i felt I was woken up from a deep and long sleep. Everything dark and hazy I was disoriented.

Opening my eyes to a crimson bon fire, with the elders seated around it, clothed in red, black and white, chanting, disputing.

I understood that it was time, and that the 12 inflictions were coming NOW.

we were lined up youngest to the oldest and had to wait for the inflictions of initiation to come. To choose from among the 12 of us who to cause which type of pain.

The White Arrow, that was what i was predetermined for, a cork screw arrow made of bone.

I was to stand still and be shot from behind.

This was My choice. i wanted to be among the 12 boys, not hide in timidity as a woman.

Fight for the king. i wanted to, i yearned to.

The pain was sharp and lingered like an ache that seemed to possess my whole body. Initiation done. They saw me fit to fight.

We were to gather in clusters of three. Sit and pray. out loud.

The first phase of the battle tested our wit. We were to be mentally ready and able.

Draped in what seemed to be nothing like warrior clothes. no armour, no protection, no swords or shields. plain soft linen clothes we were open to inflictions and wounds.

They were coming, swarming like locusts but with the hissing sounds of dashing knives.

There were like the mantis, but made of metal and pierced like needles, paralysing instantly.

we were to entertain them, tell them stories, riddles, occupy their minds, prove our wit.

15 minutes, though lethal, their life spans were shorter than an insignificant fly.

The women, however, completely wrapped in garments were protected, and sat around with large rounded baskets holding treats, they were not to speak. They were to feed and distract the metallic creatures with food and wonders. 15 minutes.

Their time start numbering with entry into the holy battlefield, once out of bounds they wither and die.

There i was, poised amidst my two brothers still trying to convince me to join the women like i should.

But i wanted to fight, Fight for the king.

The first moments of the battle went well, no deaths, no one paralysed.

But there seemed to have been a breach, I was identified, a Woman, unclothed and fighting.

I had to leave.

A girl nearby threw me her outer robe and i wrapped up, picked up a basket and slowly walked out of the battlefield like the rest of them, beasts in my basket.

I was out, back into the view of the white stone monuments and the cold misty air of the city.I wasn't to look back. I could not fight.

Not this time, but there were many wars to come.

And again I will battle, fight for the King.

Fight for my Grandfather, the King.



2 comments:

Ben Ning said...

oooh.
this is a great work of writing.
i especially like the description of the burning fire, hissing and disputing.
was it a dream?

bebe said...

yea it was...

i have too many of these.

so i thought i'd write them out.

to think of all those other ones i had over the years, left unwritten, unread, unsaved.

well... here's a new thing then

Thanks